Pakistan

 


Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 28:19

Pakistan

As-Salam-u-Alaikum, Peace be unto you, today we are going to talk a little about Pakistan. Here are a few quick facts about Pakistan:

¯ The official language of Pakistan is Urdu.
¯ While Islamabad is the capital of Pakistan Karachi is the largest city.
¯ In Pakistan people use the Pakistani rupee.
¯ Mt. Godwin Austen (K-2), in Pakistan, is the second highest in the world.
¯ Around 212.2million people live in Pakistan.
¯ Christians make up 1.6 percent of the population.
¯ 96.2% of the people are Muslim.
¯ ¾ of the population live in rural villages
¯ Less than half of the school age children can go to school.*

*This was in 1986, There still aren’t many nice schools

 but there are more than there used to be.

Today I am going to introduce a book about schools in Pakistan that I really enjoyed.  All though I don’t necessarily agree with everything in this book I think it can teach me/us some very good things… for sure “One man’s mission to promote peace” as it says on the front and I think this is the best way.  May I do better at promoting peace myself.  And now, the book…

Three Cups of Tea is the story of a mountain climber (Greg Mortenson) who got lost while climbing on K-2 and ended up in a rural village called Korphe.  He said good-bye to his new friends several weeks later leaving with them the promise that he would return and build a school for their children, whose only school was outside with a teacher only three days a week. (They shared their teacher with another village and the children studied by themselves on the other days.) This book tells about his introduction to the wonderful Pakistani people, the journey to building many schools (both in Pakistan and Afghanistan) and much more. My favorite part as I mentioned before is how we can overcome our enemies, other nations, the world, simply by loving and doing, by reaching out and being the hands of Jesus, by actually helping them become better off and creating ties and friendships that last.  This is what I bring away from this book. 

(Note: if you click the link above it will take you to audio books but if you would like the actual book click on find the cheapest and that will show you some books that you can buy.  I think if you buy a book through this link some of the proceeds will go to help girls/children get an education)

 

Greg Mortenson started the nonprofit Central Asia Institute as a way for other people to get involved in helping build schools for the children in Afghanistan, Tajikistan,  and Pakistan who wouldn’t be able to have a good education otherwise. Would you like to help a child go to school, make better teachers or just learn more about what CAI is doing CLICK HERE.


Now, since you asked, for the next 8 posts I am going to show you how I make 8 different cards. I’m going to start with how to make a

…pop-up card…

What you’ll need:

A piece of 11”x 8.5” paper

pencil

eraser

pen

cutting board

razor blade (or other cutting device)

colored pencils/crayons



first I’m going to show you how I do  a card long ways ( you won’t find many cards like this) and then like a normal card.

#1. fold the paper in half, long ways, leave it folded.

#2. Start folding the paper in half the other way and mark the edges with a small crease, or pencil mark

#3. I drew these roses and leaves starting about an inch down from the middle.

#4. Once you have the picture how you want it trace over the pencil lines.

#5. Now color the picture

#6.  Next use a razor blade to cut around the edges on both sides of the picture, DO NOT cut around the bottom or top of your picture. Also since I started an inch below the middle I had to cut strips at the top about an inch long so that it would fold right.

#7.  Last fold the picture right above the picture, at the top of the strips, and straight across the bottom of the picture. Check to make sure it will work by folding the card shut, if the strips are not long enough you can cut them longer.

Now draw a cover for your card or write something on it. Open your card and the picture should pop up!(see #7 above)


Here you can see how I fold the paper to make a more traditional style card.  You can make your card open on the side or bottom. This one opens on the bottom.  I drew the truck ½ an inch down from the middle so I made the strip to attach the bow at the top to the rest of the card ½ an inch.

I did cut in between the wheels so all that is attached to the card at the end is the bottom of the wheels and the top of the strip by the bow. Make sense?


And here they are…

These are some of the ones I’ve done.  How I figured out how to make these was by looking at a store bought one so you can always look at your own card to make a different picture or style.  If you would like a pattern so all you have to do is print off the picture or if something I said didn’t make sense please let me know by a comment or email vanessasventures2@gmail.com . Happy card making.


Sources: World Book Encyclopedia, 1986

Three Cups of Tea

Central Asia Institute 







 


Comments