El Salvador

 

And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you... I Thessalonians 4:11

El Salvador

Niltze, Hello, Today we are going to “visit” El Salvador.  I actually have visited El Salvador before, but I was so young that I don’t really remember very much about our trip. In El Salvador the official language is Spanish but the greeting I used today was in Nahuatl since I’ve used the Spanish greetings in other posts.

El Salvador is the smallest country in Central America but that doesn’t stop it from being home to many people. Around 4.45 million people live here which means about 745 people live in each square mile.

86% of the population is mestizo, which means they have a mix of Spanish and Indian ancestors. They Mestizo and White population talk Spanish.  They are also called Ladinos.  Most of the indigenous people are decended from the Pancho Indians who speak a dialect of Nahua.  Most of these people live in villages that were built by their ancestors the Pipil Indians.

The money in El Salvador is called the colón. It would take 8.75 colones to equal one U.S. dollar.

        A typical dish in El Salvador is the papusa, it is made of a rice or corn flour flatbread with cheese, beans, and sometimes meat mixed into it. When our family visited Belize several years ago we got to try out this delicious food from El Salvador.

The capital of El Salvador is San Salvador, which means “Holy Savior”. And truly the people of El Salvador are in need of The Savior and there are people who are working toward sharing the gospel with them.  One mission that I checked out was called Mission to El Salvador. They work with young (and older) people in helping them over addictions and problems from the past. One of the things that caught my interest they have some really neat cards using a method called quilling. I've made some cards like this but I'm not planning to tell how on my blog.  If you want ideas for how to do it or if you're interested in helping others help themselves, check it out HERE.  Following is a quote, "Instead of giving them hand-outs and creating dependency we try to give them a hand-up" this includes seeing potential in the people who they help and then helping them find a way to make use of their gifts to take care of themselves. If you want to learn more about the work done by Mission to El Salvador click here

 

✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉

The cards for today can be made using only a pencil, pen and paper. I just call them hand drawn and hand written cards. I enjoy drawing so I’m going to start with those.  The thing I like to do best is find a picture in a magazine or something that I’ve seen and try to draw it.

This is the only step by step drawn card that I have pictures of and even these pictures didn’t turn out very good but hopefully you can get the idea. 

#1. Pick out a picture to draw, I chose this one out of a stamp catalog.

#2. Start at the bottom by using a pencil to draw the grass and a few leaves and flowers.

#3. Now add some bigger flowers and leaves.

#4. Next draw in the mailbox and part of the stand so you kind of know where it will go.

#6. Add the rest of the flowers and leaves. Draw the mailbox post in among the leaves and add a vine and some curly cues.  I also started the tail of the cat in this step.

#7. Draw the cats in and add the flag and the beginning of the mail box door.

#8. Finish adding the flowers and leaves and add any finishing touches you think it needs. 

#9. When your picture is done go back over it with a sharpie pen or just a regular pen will do.  When you are certain the ink will not smear you can erase the pencil lines.

Note: you can just draw with a pen in the first place but then if you make a mistake you have to be more creative to cover it up.😉

If you aren’t comfortable with drawing things there is always carbon paper which you can trace with or you can do like we did when we were young and use the door to trace things.  Copy over it with a black pen and add finishing touches.

Here are the cards I made to demonstrate drawn cards.  The balloons were definitely the easiest.  And the dog is pretty easy too.  I got that idea from a sticker someone sent me. The others were mostly a mix of the stamp catalogue and my head.

For hand written cards I like to look off something to do them and a good place to get ideas is adult coloring books. Here I looked off how the words were done. They do have my own touch too.

This one is an idea from a coloring book too minus a lot of added “trinkets”.

And you can always just find a verse from the Bible to write on your card or an inspirational quote.

These are the cards I made to show how I do hand written cards.  You can see the different fonts I used. Sometimes it’s fun to just do something simple and sometimes I like to try something more challenging.  It is good to plan ahead because one problem I struggle with some is ending up squished at the end.  You can kind of see it on some of these cards. So take a lesson. 😄


Here's a poem I wrote.  Maybe it will inspire you to make the best of the things that happen in your life. Or you can pass it on.

When Life Hands You Lemons,

Make Lemonade.

You've heard this saying I am sure
And it is good advice
To take the bad things, change to good
Will make you really nice

For sour things aren't very good
But if you ask the Lord
He'll guide you and He'll give you
A smile and thankful word.

-Vanessa Gingerich


Ixquicha nimitzihtaz, Until the next time I see you…



Sources:  World Book Encyclopedia

omniglot.com

worldpopulationreview.com

en.wiki.org 

Mission to El Salvador


 



Comments