Uganda

 

 

Uganda

 

Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

 

Okoboki? How are you? Today we are going to take a look at Uganda, a country in Africa. Uganda is a landlocked country which means it does not have access to the ocean. It is close to the size of Oregon,U.S.A. The capital and largest city of Uganda is Kampala. Around 46 million people call Uganda home.

The official language of Uganda is English but out of the 43 living languages there is no lusago (language) that everyone understands. Though the numbers are increasing about ¼ of the people can’t read.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Today I am going to tell about a missionary and the ministry he started which helps children learn to read. Pastor Fred Tumwebaze is from Uganda and grew up without many of the blessings we have. In 1998,after starting at least one church,Pastor Fred recognized the need for a school for the children and in 2002 he started having school under a mango tree and since then it has grown to having over 500 children and they now have buildings,a library,a kitchen,and other things we tend to take for-granted but which can be hard to afford there. They have it set up so that you can either make a one time donation, or sponsor a child by paying for their school fees,uniforms,and school supplies every month.

Pastor Fred has visited our church three times and the second time he was here we started sponsoring children. Along with the sponsorship they encourage you to write letters to “your child” and the children usually write at the holidays. Me being the way I am,and enjoying writing letters,I have written to “my girl” many times and she has taught me some of the words from her native language,some of which I included in today’s post. To learn more about Rescue African Children (REACH) click here.

 

(side note) Ever since I started writing "my girl" in Uganda I have wanted to  visit her. Due to various factors my Uganda trip was put off,but I am still hoping to go visit Pastor Fred and the children someday. My "Uganda Fund" has been the name given to any money which  I've received to help with my travels wherever it may be that God calls me. You can help me go to Uganda by buying a Paper doll book here.

* * * * * * * * *

Today I'm going to show you how to make a really simple paper doll.  This is the kind my mom made for us before we had any of the store bought kind and they're kind of "throw-away" paper dolls.


What you'll need:
a magazine, preferably a seed catalogue with photos of people displaying the vegetables they have grown.:) I couldn't find one so I used an old "Parents" magazine. 
scissors
cardboard
glue (or tape might work)
 
First look through the magazine and find heads the size you want, you could also cut them out of photos, etc. 
Glue the heads onto a piece of cardboard.

 Something I didn't think to mention is that these are usually ladies, but you could make men.  Draw the arms and skirt shape on the cardboard and cut them out.  Remember, they are for little children so they don't have to be perfect. :)
 
 Cut a skinny strip of cardboard to glue onto the back of your paper doll at the end for a stand.
 
This is how the back of your doll should look when it is done.
 
 
Next is the fun part of making clothes and is the main reason why you use a flower catalogue because then you can make all sorts of flowery outfits. But for the demonstration I am cutting the dress out of a picture of an umbrella.
  
 
 
Trace around the doll, except her head.  Draw tabs on some of the edges to help hold the dress in place.  I also generally use sticky tack to hold paper doll clothes on and to make sure it stays in place.
 
  
And ta da you have a paper doll which is really fun to play with when you are little.  I know from experience. 😀

Over time our paper doll collection grew both from people giving us store bought paper dolls and we trying our hand at making some. By the "end" of our paper doll playing era we had a group of around 40 dolls. the picture above is my part of those dolls. It is fun to look over our paper doll making history and see how our skills improved.
 
Until next time. May the Lord protect you. Mukama akukume.
 
 
Sources: World Book Encyclopedia
Rescue African Children




 

 

 

 

Comments