The journey

 

This year in school our theme has been traveling and methods of travel. I’ve enjoyed trying to look at a different method each quarter: land, air, sea. And we have tried to have a few fun things to go with each part such as walking to the park for a lesson when we were focusing on foot travel, bicycle accessories in honor of the end of quarter one, a train puzzle, train day, and much more. 
I came down here to teach school with ideas. All sorts of ideas. And while some of them worked out and were successful, a lot of my ideas fell through the cracks. Some of them were replaced by even better ones and some just fell and I never did anything more with them. I’m not saying that to complain, I’m just saying it as a fact. This experience of teaching in another country for a busy missionary family has been eye opening and an extremely good experience for me. Honestly, I’ll probably never know all the things God taught me here but as I’m finishing up the school year I want to mention  a couple things I’ve thought about. 

You know how teachers do bulletin boards?  Well I had some of those ideas too. And while I only ever got two done it was really good for me to think about the things I had on the wall. Even if no one else read them and thought about what they meant, I did. 

   
This is the one we had in the first school room. It was a good reminder to look out of my small world and notice the good and if I couldn’t see any good, well, I could at least be the good in someone’s life.

This next one I put up in our new school room in the new house and have often been reminded how true it is. On the days when I’m feeling like rushing through and getting done it’s good for me to remember “it’s about the journey.” Not saying that I do a good job at remembering all the time. But when I do it can bring a kind of rest. Knowing that I just need to focus on today, just in the step right in front of me. I don’t need to worry about the future. I don’t need to try to make it come faster. I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. Have patience, breathe, enjoy the sights, enjoy the ride. 

So as I finish up the school year I am in a sense coming to the end of this journey. Looking back I know there have been times where I didn’t enjoy the journey to the fullest and tended to just focus on the end. But hopefully I can keep learning and growing and enjoying the ride. May you journey well.






Comments

Anonymous said…
I love both your bulletin boards. These are words of wisdom to ponder long.
Cabin Life said…
Excellent. One day at a time; one step at a time. <3