Dear Diary 13 (in which we dig “our grave” and my co-leader rides a cow)

 

July 13, 2023

Dear Diary,

Our second day in Cotoca; I wonder if I’ve gotten lice yet… thankfully I was able to come better prepared and have a mixture of essential oils that I spray in my hair. But, whenever I give a child a hug and touch their head I know there’s a possibility I’m getting lice.

This morning the pastor told us how much dirt to haul to build up the path by the church and gave us a “pounder” to use to pack the dirt down. We also dug a trash hole so we can burn our trash. The girls jokingly said we were digging our grave. It would make a crazy story anyway. Thankfully the dirt is very easy to dig and they had a nice sized hole in no time.

Certain members of the team have also had a fascination with the cows next door and my co-leader had a goal to ride a cow. So today they decided to try it. The cows are fairly tame so it wasn’t hard to get close and sweet talk it before trying to ride it. She managed to get on for maybe two seconds, but the cow was scared and ran, so it didn’t last long. Still, we consider the goal accomplished.

For the afternoon class time we did the story of the feeding of the 5,000. I was translator and some girls picked songs, told the story, planned activities, etc. We had planned ahead better so the three hours were better filled and some church ladies came over to make the snack. We were going to fast tonight, but since they made a special snack for us we “cheated” to get a taste and then spent our supper hour praying and singing. Those times are always encouraging. We talked about the day and now are going bed, there’s something fun about brushing your teeth outside at a faucet rather than in a sink. :)  Some of the girls are wishing to sleep outside some night so the sleeping bags they brought along are worthwhile, I will see what I can do… good night.

Comments