Dear Diary 18(back to the states)

 

July 7, 2023

Dear Diary,

I got back to the states the beginning of this week… it feels rather like a dream the I actually was just in South America again.

The day after my team went back to the states my friend and I headed to Arauca where I had lived for 8 months. 

There were so many familiar sights and memories that came back as we rode in the bus, since a year and 1/2 ago we went on a road trip covering these same places. It was fun seeing what all I could see. I also slept a good part of the trip, which was nice.

We arrived in the afternoon and took a taxi to our hotel. Later we met a friend who let us use their moto and spent the afternoon driving around seeing all the familiar places and looking for familiar faces. Unfortunately none of the children we did class with, etc were out of their houses…

The rest of the weekend was mostly spent visiting friends that I had known during my time of teaching there. I was reminded afresh how much I prefer to just be told where to go, but I also got to rise to the challenge of communicating with people and figuring out where they live, etc. 

I felt like I saw God come through in situations where I didn’t know what to talk about or I wasn’t sure how a visit would go. We always came up with stuff to talk about and hopefully were uplifted in that.  One place I got started teaching some little girls letters and how to write their names since they can’t go to school. Another place we talked about how God has been working in the local church despite hindrances and hardships. 

I am so thankful to God for working out the details of my trip and for all the things I was able to do and see. We bussed back to Bogotá Sunday night and I had Monday to do laundry, do some shopping, and pack. In the evening I got to see some more old friends before heading to the airport. Thankfully my flights on the way home went smoothly and I made it home again. Now, I want to serve God to the best of my ability where he has called me at home. It was good to get a fresh perspective and I’m ready to dive into whatever’s next… bye for now


Comments