Beauty in Diversity

 

We live in an ever changing world.  As some people say the only normal thing is that nothing is normal, or change is normal. I won't speak for everyone, but I know that I often find myself comparing  with other people to see how I'm better or worse than them or just how we're different and then I can tend to let whatever findings I make steal my joy, instead of remembering that there is beauty in diversity.

Someone once said, "The beauty of the world lies in the diversity of it's people." And I believe when we, when I, stop and think about what the world would actually be like if everyone was like me, or all one culture, or one language, I can value the diversity and thank God that we're not all the same.  Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to all be the same, to not have differences, to all speak the same language, but wouldn't life be boring? 

This year at school we are learning about cultures around the world and “visiting” the different continents.  It's been good for me to study different cultures more intentionally. To think more about how my culture has shaped me, and what I can learn from other cultures. Traveling to other countries is a good way to see other cultures, but we have to have our eyes open to see the beauty and try to learn from the differences of another culture. When I was traveling in South America our leaders encouraged us to look for the beauty, to enter a new culture as learners and not as someone who has everything figured out.  Sometimes it's hard to keep a learning attitude, but when we can approach people and cultures asking questions to learn and not to criticize it is amazing all the things we can discover that we never knew. 

When we do art class at school I try to plan projects/crafts that go with our theme; so this year I've been planning them somewhat based on what continent we're visiting.  Right now we're "in" Asia and since that is one of the continents I haven't visited in real life I had to trust google for ideas.  One recurring theme in Asia decor was paper lanterns. I decided to come up with a way to make some so we could make our school room look a bit more Asian. 

From what I could learn about paper lanterns they are like most things in that there are different ways to view them.  Many people use them to decorate for Asian themed occasions especially for Japan or China.  Paper lanterns are a symbol of hope and peace and during times of war people have hung them outside their homes to show their longing for peace and the hope they have that it will come.  That brings up another point.  When we get to know each other better we learn to appreciate differences and we also see how much we are alike and how we often have the same longings and desires inside. People all around the world hope and pray for peace. Even though we do it in different languages and in different ways.  We are all the same, and different.  Beautifully different.

How to make a paper lantern...

What you’ll need:
Two sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper
Scissors
Markers
Scotch tape/glue
Ruler and pencil (optional)

Now decorate one piece of paper.  Draw flowers, swirls, whatever you’d like…

When your picture is completed fold the paper in half long ways with the picture on the outside.
Now you will cut slits spaced about 3/4-1 inch apart. Cut from the folded edge and stop 1 inch or so from the top…

Next cut three one inch wide strips from the second color of paper for the handle and edges.  They should be 1”x11”

Roll the mid-section around and tape/glue the edges together to make a cylinder…

Now choose which end is the bottom and tape/glue one end of your second colored strip to the edge of your lantern and wrap it around, fastening it as you go so that the bottom edge has a border.

Tape or glue the handle into place and then repeat the above step around the top…

Your paper lantern is finished and ready to light some corner of your world… try adding a bottom so it can hold a light, or just set it over a battery powered tea-light. Or hang it somewhere to remind you of hope and peace and the beauty of every culture…


Comments