Inspiration



“God is faithful”
“He has provided what we need”
“Everything is in his time”

These are some of the things I heard when I visited a migrant camp on the Mexico border. Going to Mexico was another one of those dreams or items on my bucket list, so when the young people from my area started talking about this opportunity I was down for the adventure. After hearing stories and seeing migrants at different parts of their journey throughout South America I thought it would be interesting to talk with them now that they are almost to the USA. Because, of course, the American dream is their dream.


We bounced along the roads in Mexico until we came to a certain gate where, once we passed through, it was as though we had entered a different world. We drove past food vendors, neat rows of houses and tents, a play ground with many children, and all the things one would find in a normal town, only closer together. A miniature town all on its own. Looking around reminded me of the waiting place in the Dr. Seuss book. Everyone is waiting. Waiting to go to the kitchen to cook, waiting for their turn to do laundry, waiting for a legal appointment, mostly waiting to get to the USA. 

We visited, hoping to be an encouragement, wanting to brighten someone’s day, bringing the good news about Jesus. But, like I have experienced in so many countries, I was the one who was to learn.

 As we played I was blessed with a wonderful youth group who cheerfully played with the children. Who ran around with and loved on the children. We had fun teaching them new games and visiting with them, with our limited Spanish.  

Meeting people from other countries and seeing how they make friends with each other in spite of their different backgrounds was a good reminder to me to do the same in the places I’m called. One could view the others as a threat to their dream or see them as fellow travelers who have experienced similar things. It is beautiful to see them join together and hope together and help each other out. Sharing the things they have with those who are less fortunate or have need of what they have.

One young lady told me of the journey from Venezuela.  She and her mom had been traveling for months and there had been hard things, but through it all she had learned that the attitude she chose affected how she felt about life. “The journey has been an adventure,” she said. This is something I believe some adults have not learned and to see a child purposefully choosing a good attitude about the uncertainties and changes she is facing was very inspiring. Especially on the 15 hour drive home when we’re ready to be there.

And the patience. They say experience is the best teacher and these people are experiencing many opportunities to practice patience. Once they arrive at the migrant camp the real waiting game begins as they fill out papers and wait for the call that they have been approved. I don’t know how many people told me, “it is in God’s hands, we wait on God. You just have to have patience.” I’m sure there are days or moments when they feel like getting frustrated with the system, or doubt their decisions of leaving home, or wonder if they’ll ever get where they’re going.  But they have a hope in something they can’t see and trust that God will be with them. They have seen Him work miracles in their lives before and know he will do it again. 

In the coming week may I trust God, and show my trust with my patience and good attitude. It is a good reminder to me and maybe it can be an encouragement to you too. God sees us where we are and He will take care of us.

Comments

Cabin Life said…
Love this Vanessa!