Nigeria

Pray without ceasing. I Thessalonians 5:17

Nigeria

Ndewo, Hello, Today we are going to “visit” Nigeria.  We’ll start off with a few facts in brief about Nigeria and some things I found interesting about the country. I also have some books, which I’ve enjoyed, that I want to introduce to you.

Let’s get started:

Ø  The capital of Nigeria is Lagos.

Ø  English is the main language but there are over 250 other languages also spoken in Nigeria.

Ø  One in every 7 Africans lives in Nigeria

Ø  Around 201 million people call Nigeria home.

Ø  Over 50% of Nigerians are Muslim.

Ø  Nigerian’s basic unit of money is called the Naira.

Ø  Nigeria gained its independence in 1960.

Ø  Nigeria is home to the endangered white-throated monkey.


I have three books that I want to introduce you to.

We’ll start with the center book:  Hattie Gardner: Determined Adventurer.  I decided to do this post about Nigeria because of this book. It is a shorter book, with only 64 pages, so it doesn’t take long to read. This book shares the story of Hattie Gardner’s life and how God used in many different areas and then called her to serve Him in Nigeria, how she at last relented to the idea of going to Africa and ended up living there until she was over 70.  This is a wonderful story of how God chooses unlikely people and uses them in amazing ways.

The next one I’ll talk about is the one on the left: A Good Different.  This book is another book by Harvey Yoder and tells the story of Musikali and Joyce and their journey from sin and hurt into God’s love and healing. The book is set in Kenya, but I’m sharing it here since for one thing, I already talked about Kenya Click here to see my Kenyan Post, and also, it is an amazing story of the miracles God uses to draw His children to Himself and demonstrates to us how that “in every nation he that feareth Him (God)… is accepted with Him.” Acts 10:35.  It also can open our eyes to the spiritual needs of the people in African countries.

And finally the book on the right: Escape to the Jungle. This is a collection of Missionary stories taken from SIM NOW magazine. The stories are set in the Congo, Ethiopia, the Red Sea, Nigeria, Liberia, and Somalia.  They are stories that share the hardships and victories, discouraging times and joyful occasions in many missionaries’ lives, and always the power of prayer. All of these books tell of the work that God is doing in Africa and a key part for us is to lift up the missionaries in prayer. 

But, if you want to do more than just pray for the missionaries, if you would like to learn more about who some of the people are who are spreading the good news to Nigeria, would like to know what all they do or want to support them in more ways than just pray check out SIM International. This organization is working to help build churches up, to spread the Gospel, and to lead more people to Christ. 

__________________________________________________________________________________

Our card project for today doesn’t really have a name.  I’m calling them tin foil cards although they really aren’t made out of tinfoil as you will soon see. These are really easy to do even for you people who think you’d rather just watch.😁

What you’ll need:

Paper cutter (to cut paper)

Card Stock cut into 5”x 6 ½” pieces

Tin foil

Scissors

Pencil

Markers

Tissues

__________________________________________________

So first you fold your card stock in half so it’s like a card.

Next you cut a shape out of tin foil.  The pencil is so you can draw the shape before you cut it out, in case you can’t just eyeball it.

These are the shapes I used.

Now lay the tinfoil shape onto your card where you want it. Make as small mark with the marker, I do about an inch at a time then quickly wipe the marker off the tinfoil onto the card with the tissue.  Go all the way around the shape and you have, in this case, a heart. If it doesn’t show up good enough the first time you can always go over it again.

 

This is how I did the flower.  Same thing of marking a small area with marker and then wiping it off.  You can also see how the yellow doesn’t really show up in the 3rd picture so I just made yellow marks for the center. Yellow doesn’t show up well when you do this.

For the rain drop one I used the same piece of tinfoil over and over and just filled up the card front.

Like I said before these are really easy.  You can make one in just a few minutes and then you’re ready to go.  I also have a PDF with the patterns but since I don’t know how to  put that in here you’ll have to let me know if you want it. And if you know how to connect a PDF to a blog you can tell me that too.😉

Ka ọ dị, until next time.





Sources: World Book Encyclopedia

                SIM International

                 Nigeria Facts for Kids

Comments

smile said…
I love your beautiful card ideas. But I’m quite content to just “watch” you make them on this blog. The rain drop card is my favorite.
I like how the rain drop one turned out too. Maybe by the time I've finished introducing cards you'll decide you want to make some.��
Cabin Life said…
I don't know why we would ever need to buy another card again! You have given us so many ways to make them and they are beautiful!! :)