Afghanistan

 

Afghanistan

Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not unto men... Ephesians 6:7

As salâmo ‘alaykom, hello, welcome to today’s post on Afghanistan. 

There are two official languages in Afghanistan:  Dari and Pashto. The above greeting is Dari for "Peace to  you." Their currency is called the afghani. It takes over 76 afghani to equal one U.S dollar. Afghanistan is a land locked country which means it is surrounded by other countries and does not touch the ocean. 

The people of Afghanistan have had a rough history and there are many needs there.  The capital Kabul is the largest city  and  of the over 38 million people who live in Afghanistan around 99% are Muslim. Much like in Pakistan or any other Muslim country Christians are scarce and persecuted and if a person converts from Islam to Christianity he is persecuted even worse than other Christians. Presbyterian Mission Agency is an organization that has missionaries in many different countries and although they don't specifically have a missionary in Afghanistan they are helping Christians in the Middle East.  If you use the link above you can read more about the people in Afghanistan and discover ways that you can specifically pray for the people who are our brothers and sisters in the Middle East. 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Now for the little project you can do for a child. I'm afraid this one might seem rather chintzy, but bear with me and I'll try to do better next time.  

Part of the reason I do this is because I'm the type of person who likes to make use out of everything. That's why when I see these fancy sunglasses cases and sunglasses sets you can get at Walmart for $5 or so, I think, "that would be fun to try" and then I go and do, and the children, at least, like them. With all that said, I'll show you...

All you need is 
an old glasses case, which when you're like me and have had to change glasses every couple years you have a stack...
ribbon
beads
scissors
hotglue
additional doodads
sunglasses


The fun of this is that you get to choose the style of sunglasses case you're making and it at least seems cheaper.😉
    I think you can see how I made mine and since you probably won't do it exactly like mine I wouldn't have to tell you, but I will do a brief run through the process.
    I start at the bottom and glue the ribbon up the one side and then around, letting enough for the handle. Then I glue down the other side, glue it across the bottom and next do the other side just the same. I ended up where I started and fastened the end down. 
    Once the handles were on I glued a strip all the way around it.  For this part a left a little bit extra on the ends and folded it inside to glue it. This part takes to pieces of ribbon; one for the front and one for the back. 
    Last I added the plastic bead chain on top of the ribbon. 
Your case is all ready for Sunglasses unless you don't have any in which case you can put any number of trinkets into this cute "purse". Little girls will love it and some little boys might. 😉

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
...on another note...
Having finished up the schoolyear of 2020-2021 I now have to think about what to do with myself this summer and in the coming year. Perhaps my ponderings about whether what I'm doing to further God's kingdom and feeling like I need to do something BIG is what made the following paragraph especially meaningful to me. I hope it encourages you too.
 
"What God may hereafter require of you, you must not give yourself the least trouble about. Every thing He gives you to do, you must do as well as ever you can, and that is the best possible preparation for what He may want you to do next. If people would but do what they have to do, they would always find themselves ready for what came next."
George MacDonald

Good-bye, Tâ didâr ba’ad.


Sources: Joy & Strength,1929 p.364

World book Encyclopedia, 1985

Presbyterian Mission Agency

thefactfile.org 


Comments

Rach of AR said…
Such a good quote! He prepares us... always... for the next thing!
Cabin Life said…
I agree! As the old song goes:

"Many things about tomorrow, I don't seem to understand, but, I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand". Resting in The Lord!

:)