The Last Trip

  Thoughts about the Last Trip and Unity

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity.  Psalm 133:1

My last trip in South America during the six months I was traveling was to Ecuador. 
 
Our contacts there were a young couple who have left their family, friends, and the familiarity of home in India to serve God wherever He leads in Ecuador.  Their mission in Ecuador is to unite the local churches and create a house of prayer where anyone can come to be prayed for or to pray. During our time with them we did various activities with different church groups from their town: bike riding and games with a church youth group, a night of singing one Saturday evening, children's classes, fence painting, passing out tracts, and more. We spent a lot of time praying over the town; for the churches, the unsaved, the missionaries. Truly our prayers are important and God hears and answers them.

(This picture is from one morning when we prayed over the city)
 
 On our trip to Ecuador I was reminded once again of how God uses us in our weakness.  Moments when I was feeling critical or alone an opportunity would come for me to give a blessing or share with my team. On the last day as we walked to the church to meet our bus my team showed their love by carrying my stuff for me. I was feeling rather unworthy and as though I had failed so badly on this trip. Their loving act was a picture of God's love and care for me even though I am not worthy. I am so grateful to my team for all the times they cheerfully put up with me and kept working with me. 
 
Life on a team is not always easy. Some places it's easier to pull away and become isolated from those we are supposed to work with. Being on a team with four other girls and living life with them taught me something about unity. We don't all view life the same, we don't have the same background, we just aren't the same, but that didn't stop us from learning from each other. And it didn't stop God from using us. We became unified in bringing God's shalom to the chaos in the lives of the people around us. We loved together, we cried together, we cared for others and each other. And I am better because of the time I spent living with a team, seeing God at work in different countries in South America. 
 
At home, sometimes, it's harder to remember to live in unity with my church family or the people I work with. It is easy to live my own life and let other's live theirs and not be involved and care for those around me. But there are times when I realize how much I need others to help me. And that I do have things to offer to others, they need me too. (something my team told me a lot) 
 
In the coming week let's do our part in bringing God's love to others. We never know what kind of difference we might make just because we take time to talk to them or give a helping hand.
  
Four Random Facts about Ecuador:
In 2021 it was the world's largest exporter of bananas.
It is the only country named for a geographic feature (the equator)
Ecuadorian currency is USD.
Ecuador is one of two countries in South America NOT bordering Brazil.

sources: the fact file




Comments