Dear Diary, (the journey begins)

 


June 26, 2023
Dear Diary,
    Today I finished packing up for my Colombia/Bolivia trip. I decided to use my carry-on suitcase instead of my trecker, which was nice since it has wheels. Mom took me to the airport and it was nice to chat with her as we drove. It was strange, yet comfortable being in the airport again and I definitely know my way around better.
    On the way down I read book 1 of The Chosen. We landed in Houston on time and I had a pretty long layover so I  found my gate and read for several hours until I got a headache. Since there were a lot of people going to Colombia, there was a lot of Spanish and it was fun to be surrounded by Spanish speaking people again. 
    Several of the flights around were delayed and then my flight was delayed because they didn’t have a plane. It was a little stressful not knowing what was going to happen and made me realize again how much I enjoy traveling with others. 
    I started chatting with the lady across the table for a little and she told me some about herself. She was going on a different flight, so she left pretty soon. 
    Later on I started talking with an older gentleman from the next table over. He was definitely an answer to prayer and took me under his wing until we parted ways. I guess I seemed pretty young to him. 
He shared a bit about himself and how he had grown up in a missionary family in Colombia and now is a professor who makes trips to Colombia to teach. He gave me tips about learning Spanish and asked questions about the program I am working with. 
    When our gate changed we and some other friends walked to the new gate together. We chatted some more while we waited to board and then said goodbye when we boarded. We left around 9:00 which was when we would’ve been arriving in Bogotá originally. 
    My seat partner was a friendly lady who was going to teach English in Colombia so we talked a bit about teaching and traveling before trying to sleep…

June 27, 2023 @4:00 a.m.
    We arrived in Bogota soon after 2:00, got off the plane and went through immigration.  Thankfully things went smoothly and I was able to connect to the airport wifi and call an Uber so I could go to the apartments where I would be staying. I got to the apartment around 3:00, but I can’t sleep.  It is so strange being back in Bogotá again. The city is pretty quiet at this hour in this part of the city. I’m nervous and excited about the coming days. It will be fun to see familiar faces again, but I wonder how I will do at leading a group of girls… will my co-leader and I get along?  I am giving it into God’s hands I know this trip is because of Him and He will have control… good night

Comments