A project(what I did)

 

Have you wondered what I am doing with all the cards I'm making?  Well, today you get to find out. and possibly 
take INITIATIVE for yourself...

The idea came from my mom.  Moms are great idea givers by the way.  She had heard from someone else that a good way to encourage the elderly in Nursing Homes, etc, while we can’t visit them, would be to send mail and she passed that tidbit on to me thinking I might want to get my students involved.  I thought it was a good idea. 

We called in to our local Nursing Home and also a place where older people who can still take care of themselves but shouldn’t live by themselves live.  I found out that I should have 83 cards if I wanted to have enough.  And then I got busy. One Friday and Saturday I spent my spare time making 42 cards for my Sunday School Class to write in.

You can probably see some familiar cards and you can also see some that you’ll hear about in future posts. This is 47 of the cards that we took in.

For the next art class at school I had my students make the remaining 36 to take in to the elderly.  Inside the cards we wrote a Bible verse, a short note, or drew a picture, then signed their names.  I also included a picture of whoever was writing the card.

Once we had all the cards decorated and written in we put them into brightly colored envelopes and I took them to town.  Since no visitors are allowed we just called the Nursing Home when we were in the parking lot and then I carried the stack up to the door and there they were taken by a lady all gloved and masked up. Doing this brought back memories of making things in art class to take into the RCF (residential care facility), and then personally delivering them and making friends with the old people.

So maybe you don’t feel like making a bunch of cards or you don’t have a bunch of children that you can make write notes.  But you can buy cards and you can drop them off at your neighbors, or send an encouraging note to someone who you know is feeling discouraged either about covid or some other problem.

And by the way, I didn't introduce a new country since I did just talk about Siberia a couple days ago.

Oh, and speaking of Siberia! We’ve got around 10 inches of snow here right now and as I’m writing this it is 6˚ F outside.  That’s pretty cold for where I live, and a lot of snow.  How cold is it where you are? Comment below.




Comments

smile said…
We had 41 degrees today 😎
no fair, it did get warmer today but it's still snowing