A dream come true

Dear Uganda friend,

 Eight years ago when I started writing letters to you I had no idea how our friendship would grow. It was an adventure to send letters across the ocean and receive a reply from a girl my age who lives in a very different place.  I told you about my life and you told me about yours. Our school settings were quite different but we were both studying and learning.

Over the years you began to teach me words from your language. You told me if I come to visit you, you will teach me more words… I wanted to visit you very badly and for the past 4 or 5 years that has been a dream of mine. At first I was still doing school and writing letters to you. Then COVID came and shut down travel and mail. I didn’t hear from you for a while. I wondered about you and how you were doing and I prayed for you every day. 

And then I went to South America to teach some children and to see what God had in store for me there. It took me a lot longer to get back home than I expected. And when I did get home I was ready to just sit.  But I still had the dream of coming to Uganda to see you. I got a letter or two from you, but we didn’t write as much. 

So before this summer I thought, finally I can make plans to go to Uganda. Seeing God’s leading in several areas I reached out to the pastor who started  your school and began to plan my trip. God provided a friend from church to go with me on my African adventure and after much talk and changes in schedule our flight date was set for October.


 It was so much fun to pack and get ready for the trip, although there were questions about visas, who would substitute for me, last minute changes in plans that left me wondering “am I really going to make it to Uganda?” But the day came when we went to the airport and began our 30 hour trip and the dream was finally becoming a reality. 

I thought I was prepared. I thought since I’d been in other countries before I wouldn’t have culture shock, but I almost did. Your people are so rejoicing! So welcoming and friendly. There were times when I felt overwhelmed, but I’m so thankful we serve a bigger God and he understands the differences in cultures.  

I remember when I met you, my friend, I was sitting in the office and in you came. I thought you were just another school girl to meet and then I realized you were the one I had came to see. I was so happy to finally meet you! Even though we didn’t get to spend a lot of time together meeting you made an impression on me and helped me to see God gives us dreams and sometimes they do come true. 

I was able to visit your house and see where you live. To meet your mom. You showed me your garden, and where you sleep. It was fun to walk around your place seeing where you do life and how God had cared for you even though your life hasn’t been easy. 

Saying goodbye was very hard. Not knowing if I’ll see you again or what is in your future. But I’ve been learning to trust the story, to trust God more, and I know he will care for and watch over you as you continue to study. And I trust that one day we will meet again in heaven where we can talk our hearts out with no language barrier. 

I love you so much.  Nkwagala
P.S. even though I didn’t learn many words from you I learned some from other friends and I hope to teach them to my students.



Comments